Receive credit for your professional development?
Review the career related courses available to BSOS undergraduates.
- EDCP108I: Academic Transition into Internships – a one-credit online class preparing students for successfully landing an internship and how to reflect on the experience.
- PSYC123: The Psychology of Getting Hired – a one-credit online course for freshmen and sophomore, it looks at what’s behind the hiring process, applying psychological principles and strategies for landing internships/jobs.
- COMM488I: Communication Portfolio Project; Strategic Interviewing - This course introduces students to advanced techniques in interviewing for job opportunities and career progression. This online course focuses on the dynamics of the interview process, the communication theories and best practices behind influence and persuasion, and the communication aptitudes and skills that distinguish top candidates.
- UNIV099: Internship Seminar – a zero-credit course that complements supervised work experiences and assures that these experiences are noted on the student’s transcript.
- BSOS 288I (1-3 credits), Internship Practicum in the Social Sciences, open to students with 30-60 completed credits by the end of the previous semester.
- BSOS 355 (3 credits), Social Science Internship Practicum, fulfills the GenEd Scholarship in Practice requirement. It is open to students who have completed 61 or more credits who have an internship related to the behavioral and social sciences.
- BSOS 386 (3-6 credits), Experiential Learning is open to students who have completed 61 or more credits.
Expand and gain new skills with these courses:
Minor in an area of interest to gain additional skills.
- Innovo Scholars Consulting- teaches students how to solve complex problems and manage the dynamics of client-focused engagements
- IDEA258A - Becoming a Design Thinker
- Fall Big Data Skills Course
- BSOS388B - Do Good Now for Credit (Fall/Spring)
- Fall Public Policy Courses, Special Topics in Public Policy- Child and Family Policy Impact
Big Data in BSOS. Gain skills that equip you with tools to create a narrative for big data. A variety of classes are available. Enhance your employability with these courses.
- Statistical Software Workshops include R, offered by UMD University Libraries
- GIS and Spatial Data Center Workshop Series: Intro to Python, Data Visualization Tools, Simply Analytics
- Leadership skills: Student Organization Resource Center hosts a variety of workshops to develop students to be successful leaders in our organizations.
- Lynda.com offers non-credit, online courses on a variety of topics