Are you ready to apply for your next internship or job? Review the links below to ensure you are prepared for the next opportunity around the corner.
- RESUME EXAMPLES and getting started tips
- Federal resume (required for some federal internship and job applications)
- Steps for developing a customized cover letter that gets read
- Five Benefits of Cover Letters, by Vault
- Writing Samples: Dos & Don'ts
- Employers may request references to gain a better perspective of your candidacy.
- Review a reference sheet example.
- 5 Tips for Getting a Stellar Letter of Recommendation, Vault article.
- Professional Correspondence: Thank You & Acceptance Letters
- Create your “go-to” introduction to be used during interviews or while networking.
- Interview Checklist- review these tips BEFORE the interview
- Prepare for different interview formats
- What happens during the interview
- Dressing tips for office casual and business professional- Review these examples for business casual and professional ideas
- Questions employers frequently ask
- Prepare questions for the organization
- Know your rights, review these inappropriate/illegal interview questions
Tips for preparing:
- Skype interview, by Vault
- Video Interview, by Vault
- Fellowship interview, by ProFellow
- Scheduling: Interviews, by Vault
- Canceling a job interview, by Vault
- Schedule a mock interview to practice. Tips for preparing for a mock interview
- Prepare for a lunch interview
- Infographics- preparation tips
- Negotiating a job offer
- How to Turn Down an Offer When You’ve Accepted Another, by Vault
- Internships: Is academic credit or a salary an option?
- Research the average salary for your next full time job (i.e. Salary.com, Indeed.com, Payscale.com, or Glassdoor.com provide regional data for job titles searched). Interview professionals working in the field and ask what they think the going rate is for an entry level position in the field.
- Know what you can afford: Review the average cost of living for your desired city and create a budget worksheet to identify your salary needs.
- Consider what is negotiable along with how in demand your skills are for that industry. Review these tips for evaluating offers.
- Salary negotiation scripts for any role, by Vault.
Review additional resources, services, workshops, and links by visiting the University Career Center & The President’s Promise website. Questions? Email ucc-bsos [at] umd [dot] edu (subject: Question%20from%20the%20UCC%20%40%20BSOS%20Resume%20%26%20Cover%20Letter%20page) .