Access openings not advertised anywhere by gaining leads from friends, family, and contacts. This is the number one most effective search strategy to identify openings!
Start the conversation with the steps below.
- Make a list of EVERYONE you know, regardless of their profession (i.e. you don’t know who they know!)
- Informational interviews - request 15-20 minutes to learn more about their career path or organization
- Track your progress and follow through on referrals
- Top questions to ask during a “job seeking” informational interview
- Research organizations to add to your target list.
Expand your network
- LinkedIn - join groups or review UMD’s alumni page to connect with alumni and employers of interest
- Terrapins Connect - connects students with UMD alumni
- Employer networking events - attend to meet professionals and gain knowledge of openings
- Intern - make the most of your internship by requesting informational interviews
- Intern for a Day - one day shadowing experience that allows students to forge connections
- Road Trips to the Real World- visit an organization for a day over winter break
- Career Shuttles - a half day, group experience to visit an organization of interest
Read more: How to Create Opportunities Rather Than Compete for Them, by Vault.