Many federal agencies offer internship and volunteer positions for current students to experience their work environment. Review the sample listing below to start exploring and planning your application for agencies of interest.
USAJOBS offers a listing of current internships. Intelligence agencies require an application deadline of up to one year before the intended start of the internships because of the security clearance required, so plan accordingly.
- CIA: General Internship, Co-op and Graduate Studies opportunities for Summer will close on July 31. Opportunities for Summer 2020 will open in January 2019.
- Defense Intelligence Agency: Applications are available for the Defense Intelligence Agency Summer Internship Program. This program provides current college students and recent graduates with the opportunity to gain practical work experience through research, report writing, briefing development and delivery, policy writing and intelligence analysis.
- DOD: high quality programs for students, graduates and professionals are: Pathways Programs
- The Department of Homeland Security: offers a variety of prestigious scholarships, fellowships, internships and training opportunities to expose talented students to the broad national security mission.
- U.S. Department of State Student Internship Program (unpaid), and (2) Pathways Program (paid), enable students to obtain job experience in a foreign affairs environment. Review application tips.
- FBI: The application period for the Summer Honors Internship Program and Collegiate Hiring Initiative opens in August. Seeking undergraduate (freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior), graduate, or post-doctorate student.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency: Summer options. Click here to apply.
- Homeland Security Investigations, Spring 2019 Student Volunteer Program (Internship)
UMD Academic Programs
- Federal Semester is open to students from all majors, on an application basis. This year-long program combines a fall academic seminar with a spring internship. Students select one of the following concentrations: Health Policy, Homeland Security Policy, Energy and Environmental Policy. If you are interested in applying to the Foreign Policy concentration, go to: Global Semester in Washington, D.C.
- START fosters a collaborative, multidisciplinary environment to create a team that meets the needs of the homeland security enterprise and trains the next generation of scholars and practitioners.
University Career Center at UMD
- Terrapins Connect - connects students with UMD alumni working at state and federal agencies (as well as nonprofit organizations).
- Events Calendar – the University Career Center hosts career fairs and information sessions to educate students on federal and state agencies as well as career path options.