In addition to directly supporting students, the University Career Center @ BSOS collaborates with BSOS faculty and staff to develop career ready graduates. Contact Crystal Sehlke, Program Director, by email (csehlke [at] umd [dot] edu) or phone (301.314.7241) to learn more.
NEW FOR SPRING 2019
- Add a Career Assignment: Join the Career Center's Canvas/Commons group to import career related assignments into your course for the spring 2019 semester. Review more information below.
- Career Events for BSOS Students, Spring 2019 (Please share with students)
Integrate Career Readiness Activities into the Classroom
Assign a Career Related Activity: A number of BSOS courses already integrate career development activities into their syllabi, often as part of a graded or extra-credit assignment. The University Career Center can assist in this effort by developing customized assignments. Let us know your interests and we’ll work with you to meet the needs of your students.
- Import assignments into your course space in Canvas by joining the Center’s group on Canvas Commons, an add on to the Canvas/Elms platform. Click here to join the group and you will be added within 48 hours. We will also invite you to our Canvas/Elms course so you can try the assignments in "student" view.
- Review the assignment titles available in the Center's Canvas Common's group.
- New to Commons? Review these tips from the Division of Information Technology. Import assignments- how to tips.
- Review our findings for the impact on integrating career assignments into a 100-level course.
Schedule a Career Related Presentation for your Class: Request a presentation on a career related topic of your choosing to help students see how their in class learning is making them more marketable for post-graduation opportunities.
Promote Services for Students with Disabilities: Do you have two minutes at the beginning of your class to share? The University Career Center would like to educate students about career prep services for students with disabilities. To schedule a visit or discuss further, please contact Nancy Forsythe, Faculty Specialist/Employment of Students with Disabilities, nforsyt2 [at] umd [dot] edu.
- UMD Graduation Survey Report 2017 (page 33 for BSOS results)
- Providing Reference Letters- NACE tips
- Overview of market trends
- UMD is producing Career Ready students! Learn how you can help
- JOB OUTLOOK: Recruiting for the class of 2019 looks promising!
- Refer employers and alumni with positions to share with students via Careers4Terps
Stay Informed of Center Events
- Sign up for a bi-weekly eNewsletter of Career Events to share with BSOS students.
- Register to receive promotional handouts/posters advertising career events.