Connect with Alumni
The UMD Alumni Advisor Network connects students with UMD alumni to conduct industry specific resume reviews, mock interviews, and to share the scoop on how they broke into their field.
Other ways to connect to alumni
- Stay informed and connect with BSOS alumni through the over 80 UMD related LinkedIn groups (located on the right under “Featured groups").
- LinkedIn’s find alumni tool allows users to research where UMD alumni are working and locate alumni.
- Many BSOS majors have LinkedIn groups and Facebook pages where you can locate and interact with alumni (check with your department).
- Many employers who attend UMD career fairs and networking events are Terps themselves! Look for their UMD lapel pins.
- Alumni are featured, as well as sometimes post openings, on the BSOS Blogs.
- Career Shuttle- take a ride with a small group of students to visit an organization for half a day. Many times the organizations will encourage their UMD employees to share their experiences.
- Attend BSOS’s speaker events and your academic departments programs to meet alumni and learn about new career options. Sign up to receive email updates from their Blog.
Now that you know where to find alumni, request informational interviews to learn about recruiting trends, entry-level points, and special perks about the field. Not sure what to ask? Check out these sample questions.
Why should I care about connecting with alumni?
- To gain career information and advice about fields of interest or a particular organization.
- To learn how their organizations prefer to fill positions (NOT to ask for a job) and implement that strategy.
- Learn about the new trends in the field, after all these are people who are doing the things you want to do!
- Gain industry specific feedback on your application materials and the skills required.