Career Coaching Videos- Lynda.com
UMD students, faculty, and staff have unlimited, FREE access to lynda.com, an online library of instructional videos covering the latest software, creative, and business skills.
Student log in instructions:
- Visit http://lyndatraining.umd.edu/ and click “Sign In”.
- Enter your UMD directory ID.
- Once you are logged in, copy the URL below and paste into the browser address bar (or enter the title below in the “browse the library” search box), and you will be directed to the correct section of the video.
Developing career readiness skills:
- Understanding the modern resume
- Creating an effective resume
- Understanding the importance of keywords
- Working with online resumes and portfolios
- Creating a RTF version (especially if you will be applying for positions online)
- Creating a cover letter
- Compiling your references
- Writing thank-you notes
- Preparing for the Interview
- Interviewing (making a first impression, handling difficult questions, addressing illegal questions)
- Interview- Answering questions using the SAR method
- Foundations of Salary Negotiation (researching salary ranges, highlighting skills)
- The Negotiation Conversation (review the offer, replying, example conversation)
- Negotiating Your Salary
- Writing a professional email
- Searching for Positions Online
- Leveraging Your Network
- Working with Recruiters
- Using Indeed (an aggregate job board)
- Using Twitter to search for jobs
- Using industry-specific job boards
- Scanning sites of companies you want to work for
- Approaching recruiters
- Up and Running with LinkedIn
Add to your skills or identify a new interest by watching Lynda.com videos on...
- 3D Drawing
- Big Data
- Business Skills
- Data Analytics
- Design Business
- Game Design
- Instructional Design
- Logo Design
- Music Production
- Public Relations
- Social Media Marketing
- Time Management
- Web Design
Get started by visiting http://lyndatraining.umd.edu/ and click “Sign In” to search for any title above and much more!