The Montgomery Family Endowed Scholarship Award
In recognition of Dr. Edward Montgomery, former dean of the College of Behaviorial & Social Sciences, the Montgomery Family Endowed Scholarship was established in January 2012 to award a scholarship to a high achieving rising junior, who demonstrates financial need and is a resident of either an inner city or a small rural community. Preference shall be given to first generation college students and those who participate in a meaningful extracurricular or non-regular classroom experience. The monetary award for this scholarship is: $1,000 (one recipient).
Click here to apply online for the Montgomery Family Endowed Scholarship.
- Transcript (official or unofficial) – Student’s cumulative GPA from the University of Maryland will be considered
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Short Bio (250 words or less) – Include year of study, major, other activities relevant to scholarship and professional activities
- Short Answer (250 words or less) – Given your inner city or rural community background, what unique challenges have you faced and how have these challenges shaped your experiences as a student at the University of Maryland?
- Academic Reference – Name and email of one University of Maryland faculty or staff member who can speak on behalf of your academic performance and candidacy for a scholarship based on the qualifications set forth. (Note: you should request permission to list this person as your reference)
- Statement of Financial Need – Brief personal statement regarding your financial need, if any, and how a scholarship would benefit you. (Note: you do not need to receive financial aid/assistance to qualify for a scholarship)
- Financial Aid Awards Statement – This is only required if you receive any form of financial assistance (other scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). Your statement, if applicable, may be viewed by visiting http://www.testudo.umd.edu/, clicking on "Financials" (in the left menu bar), then "Show me my Financial Aid Status" (green button), then “Print Your Award Information” (under the “Awards” tab in the top menu bar).
To view a list of past scholarship recipients, please click here.