Jean & Robert Steele Scholarship Award
The Jean & Robert Steele Scholarship Award was established in May 2004 by Dr. Robert E. Steele to support rising juniors and seniors who are enrolled in the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences, and are the first generation of their family to attend college. These students face unique issues on our campus and the recipient of this award should be a person who, without financial assistance, could not complete their undergraduate studies. The monetary award for this scholarship is: $500 (one recipient).
Click here to apply online for the Jean & Robert Steele Scholarship Award.
- Transcript (official or unofficial) – Student’s cumulative GPA from the University of Maryland will be considered
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Short Bio (250 words or less) – Include year of study, major, other activities relevant to scholarship and professional activities
- Short Answer (250 words or less) – What unique challenges have you faced being a first generation college student at the University of Maryland and how have these challenges shaped your character?
- Academic Reference – Name and email of one University of Maryland faculty or staff member who can speak on behalf of your academic performance and candidacy for a scholarship based on the qualifications set forth. (Note: you should request permission to list this person as your reference)
- Statement of Financial Need – Brief personal statement regarding your financial need, if any, and how a scholarship would benefit you. (Note: you do not need to receive financial aid/assistance to qualify for a scholarship)
- Financial Aid Awards Statement – This is only required if you receive any form of financial assistance (other scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). Your statement, if applicable, may be viewed by visiting http://www.testudo.umd.edu/, clicking on "Financials" (in the left menu bar), then "Show me my Financial Aid Status" (green button), then “Print Your Award Information” (under the “Awards” tab in the top menu bar).
To view a list of past recipients, please click here.