The U.S. President signed into law on March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act to provide economic relief from COVID-19. As part of the CARES Act, the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund was created to provide colleges and universities with funds for emergency financial aid grants for students and to cover institutional expenses related to the pandemic. Our approach to distribute these funds is student-centered.
UMD has received $10,745,357 to distribute to eligible students as an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under the CARES Act. In compliance with both the CARES Act and the Department of Education’s guidance, the university will distribute funds to eligible students experiencing financial hardships with expenses related to the disruption of campus operations, including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance such as:
- assistance with food purchases,
- needs related to housing/rent/utilities,
- the purchase of course materials,
- technology-related needs, and/or
- assistance with health care and/or child care expenses.
A student must meet all the criteria listed below to qualify for funding through the UMD CARES Act Emergency Student Financial Aid Grant Application:
- Undergraduate or graduate student who is currently enrolled or was enrolled in a degree or eligible certificate program for the Spring 2020 semester on or after March 13, 2020.
- A student who has been adversely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic campus interruption and has an emergency need.
- A student who is a U.S. citizen or who meets the definition of an eligible non-citizen based on federal financial aid requirements.
- A student who meets the federal financial aid eligibility requirements.
- A student must use the funds to cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic that has impacted their educational experience, including the allowable expenses listed above.
Students need to apply using the UMD CARES Act Emergency Student Financial Aid Grant application.