Established in June 1998 in recognition of Professor Murray E. Polakoff, former dean of the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences, the Murray E. Polakoff Scholarship Award provides a scholarship award for a driven rising sophomore or junior student in the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences who has shown commitment to serving their campus and community. The monetary award for this scholarship is: $1,000 (one recipient).
Click here to apply online for the Murray E. Polakoff Scholarship Award.
- Transcript (official or unofficial) – Student’s cumulative GPA from the University of Maryland will be considered
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Short Bio (250 words or less) – Include year of study, major, other activities relevant to scholarship and professional activities
- Short Answer (250 words or less) – How do you think your college education has helped you serve the campus or your home community?
- Academic Reference – Name and email of one University of Maryland faculty or staff member who can speak on behalf of your academic performance and candidacy for a scholarship based on the qualifications set forth. (Note: you should request permission to list this person as your reference, but they will not need to submit a letter.)
- Statement of Financial Need – Brief personal statement regarding your financial need, if any, and how a scholarship would benefit you. (Note: you do not need to receive financial aid/assistance to qualify for a scholarship)
- Financial Aid Awards Statement – This is only required if you receive any form of financial assistance (other scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). Your statement, if applicable, may be viewed by visiting http://www.testudo.umd.edu/, clicking on "Financials" (in the left menu bar), then "Show me my Financial Aid Status" (green button), then “Print Your Award Information” (under the “Awards” tab in the top menu bar).
To view a list of past scholarship recipients, please click here.