Limited Enrollment Programs (LEP) are competitive majors at the University of Maryland that control enrollment numbers to maintain program quality. This means that students must meet additional academic requirements beyond admission to the university in order to join and remain in the major. The LEPs that are in the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences (BSOS) are:
There are certain policies that apply to all LEP students, regardless of the specific major.
- Students can only repeat one requirement one time among the gateway/entrance requirements.
- A grade of W (Withdrawn) in a course is counted as an attempt.
- Courses must be taken at Maryland unless previously transferred; exceptions must be approved by the department.
- Students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Maryland throughout their enrollment, or they will be removed from the major.
- Students who are academically dismissed or who leave the major cannot return to the major.
- Students may only apply once. If a student applies and the application does not meet the requirements, the student will not be allowed to apply again.
- Freshmen have until the last day of classes in their first semester to change/add their major to an LEP through the major change process.
These policies are specific to the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences:
- Students may apply at any credit level (must be in the major for 15 credits before earning a degree).
- Any student that meets all entrance requirements will be added to the major.
BSOS LEP Admissions
As a first-semester freshmen, any student may be granted admission to a BSOS LEP major upon admission to the university.
- First semester freshmen wanting to change to or add a BSOS LEP have until the last day of classes in their first semester to change/add a BSOS LEP. First semester freshmen meeting this deadline will be treated as directly admitted freshmen and will not have to complete the entrance requirements prior to admission.
- Directly admitted freshmen must complete the gateway requirements by 45 attempted credits at Maryland (this excludes AP or IB credits and any Freshman Connection credits).
- Please see the department website for specific requirements.
- External/Internal Transfer students:
- All transfer students must complete the entrance requirements for the major before they are eligible to apply.
- External Transfers (transferring from outside the University of Maryland) must complete the entrance requirements before applying to the university in order to be directly admitted into the college's LEP major.
- Internal Transfers (current Maryland students applying to change/add a major) must complete the entrance requirements before submitting their LEP application, which is obtained from a department advisor. The GPA requirement for entrance into a BSOS LEP major is based on ALL previous college level coursework. This includes courses taken at other institutions that may not have been accepted as credit here at Maryland. Please see the department website for specific requirements.
Every fall and spring semesters a review is conducted for students in LEP majors.
- Review of gateway requirements.
- Reviews students who have reached 45 attempted credits.
- Any student who does not complete their gateway requirements and/or violates an LEP policy will be dismissed from the major.
- Review of GPA.
- Reviews all students in an LEP major. This includes students who recently changed their major to an LEP major.
- Any student who drops below a 2.0 cumulative GPA at Maryland will be dismissed from the major.
Limited Enrollment Programs (LEP) at the University of Maryland