We are looking forward to meeting you and assisting you on your college journey! Please schedule your advising appointment through our TerpEngage portal. In order to prepare for your appointment, you may wish to review the information below before you meet with a BSOS Advising Team member.
- Academic Plan Assistance - You must complete a BSOS workshop . Please be ready to share your draft of your academic plan in the appointment.
- Major Change/Addition of Major - Please see our webpage regarding how to change your major. Send your signed Change/Addition of Major Form and your academic plan to the website listed on the webpage.
- Probation/Dismissal/returning students -
- You need to complete and be ready to share the BSOS Self-Assessment in an advising appointment. You may also wish review the following website regarding probation/dismissal.
- Deans’ Exception to Policy – Schedule an appointment with an advisor to discuss your request and have supporting documentation ready to present to support your request.
- Schedule Conflict - Obtain emails from both instructors of the courses that conflict with each other stating they are aware of the time conflict. The emails should describe the arrangements being made to accommodate the conflict. Schedule an advising appointment to share permission letters and request the time conflict permission.
- Study Abroad & Audit -
- To get your Study Abroad Course Approval (SACA) form signed by a BSOS Advisor follow these steps:
- 1. Obtain a signed Study Abroad Course Approval (SACA) form from the Education Abroad Office- electronic version now available.
- 2. Obtain an academic audit and the SACA form signed by your department/major advisor.
- 3. Present SACA form in BSOS Advising appointment for approval.
- Audit - Official audits require that you meet with your department/major advisor before meeting with a BSOS Advisor. BSOS Advising cannot complete an official audit unless you present an audit form signed by your major advisor in the BSOS appointment. If you were emailed about your Academic Audit and have questions regarding your advisor’s notes, please share the email in your appointment so we can review it with you.
- Taking a Course for the 3rd Time - You will need permission from your major advisor if you are requesting a third attempt at a major requirement. For a 3rd attempt of a general education or elective course you must meet with a BSOS Advisor to discuss.
- Bach/MPP - To discuss the Bach/MPP program meet with Hermione Pickett.
- NCAA Athletes - meet with a BSOS athlete advisor, Christie Cradock or TC Lloyd.
- Consortium Course Request - Review UMD's D.C. Consortium Enrollment Page for more information and instructions for obtaining and completing forms. Please bring the form from the Registrar's Office to your appointment.
If you are meeting with a BSOS Advisor about a topic that is not listed above, please bring your questions, we are happy to help! Other topics may include: Graduation, Credit Overload, Transfer Credit, LEP, Benchmarks, Registration, Appointment Blocks, Permission to Enroll at another institution, and/or general advising.