We are looking forward to meeting you and to assisting you on your college journey! Please schedule your advising appointment through our TerpEngage portal. In order to prepare for your appointment, you may wish to review the information below before coming to meet the BSOS Advising Team.
- Academic Plan Assistance - You must have completed a BSOS workshop online or in person. Please bring your draft of the academic plan to the appointment.
- Major Change/Addition of Major - Please see our webpage regarding how to change your major. Bring your signed and stamped Change/Addition of Major Form and your academic plan.
- Probation/Dismissal/returning students- You must download, complete and bring the BSOS Self Assessment Form. In addition, review the following website regarding probation/dismissal.
- Exception to Policy - Bring any documentation to support your request.
- Schedule Conflict - Bring permission letters on university letterhead (or emails from umd account) from the instructors of both conflicting courses. Arrangements for managing the conflict must be clear in the letters/ emails.
- Study Abroad & Audit - To get your Study Abroad Course Approval (SACA) form signed by a BSOS Advisor follow these steps:
- 1. Obtain a signed Study Abroad Course Approval (SACA) form from the Education Abroad Office.
- 2. Get an academic audit and the SACA form signed by your department/major advisor.
- 3. Bring signed audit forms and SACA form to BSOS Advising appointment.
- Audit - Official audits require that you meet with your department/major advisor before meeting with a BSOS Advisor. BSOS Advising cannot complete an official audit unless you bring an audit form signed by your major advisor to the BSOS appointment. If you were emailed about your Academic Audit and have questions regarding your advisor’s notes, please bring the email to your appointment so we can review it with you.
- Take a Course for the 3rd Time - You will need written permission from your major advisor if you are requesting a third attempt at a major requirement. For a 3rd attempt of a general education or elective course you must meet with a BSOS Advisor.
- Bach/MPP - To discuss the BCH/MPP program meet with Hermione Pickett.
- NCAA Athletes - meet with a BSOS athlete advisor, Christie Cradock or TC Lloyd.
- Consortium Course Request - Review UMD's D.C. Consortium Enrollment Page for more information and instructions for obtaining and completing forms. Please bring the form from the Registrar's Office to your appointment.
If you are meeting with a BSOS Advisor about a topic that is not listed above, please bring your questions and we are happy to help! Other topics may include: Graduation, Credit Overload, Transfer Credit, LEP, Benchmarks, Registration, Appointment Blocks, Permission to Enroll at another institution, and/or general advising.