The Herskowitz Endowed Scholarship was established in 2015 by Jeffery Herskowitz '90 will support scholarships for students enrolled in any major in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences. Preference shall be given to students who have performed at least 100 hours of public service in the prior academic year. Preference will also go to students who have graduated from a high school in Gloucester, Camden or Burlington counties in New Jersey; or from William Penn Charter School. The monetary award for this scholarship is: $1,000 (one recipient).
The following materials must be submitted to complete your scholarship application:
- Transcript (official or unofficial) – Student’s cumulative GPA from the University of Maryland will be considered
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Short Bio (250 words or less) – Include year of study, major, other activities relevant to scholarship and professional activities
- Short Answer (250 words or less) – What public service activity have you completed in the last academic year and how has that experience shaped you as a person?
- Academic Reference – Name and email of one University of Maryland faculty or staff member who can speak on behalf of your academic performance and candidacy for a scholarship based on the qualifications set forth. (Note: you should request permission to list this person as your reference, but they will not need to submit a letter.)
- Statement of Financial Need – Brief personal statement regarding your financial need, if any, and how a scholarship would benefit you. (Note: you do not need to receive financial aid/assistance to qualify for a scholarship)
- Financial Aid Awards Statement – This is only required if you receive any form of financial assistance (other scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). Your statement, if applicable, may be viewed by visiting http://www.testudo.umd.edu/, clicking on "Financials" (in the left menu bar), then "Show me my Financial Aid Status" (green button), then “Print Your Award Information” (under the “Awards” tab in the top menu bar).