Fishlinger Family Endowed Scholarship - **Not soliciting applications for the 2020-21 academic year."
Mr. Matthew Fishlinger '07 and Mr. William J. Fishlinger '71 established the Fishlinger Family Endowed Scholarship in June 2017 to provide merit-based scholarships for undergraduate students in the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences. This scholarship is intended to provide an annual, merit-based scholarship to a high achieving BSOS undergraduate student who has been deeply impacted by personal or medical challenges. This scholarship is renewable through the recipient's senior year, provided they maintain their good academic standing (3.2 GPA or higher).
Applicants must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Currently enrolled BSOS undergraduate student. Preference given to rising sophomores, majoring in Government & Politics, but all BSOS majors may apply.
- Exhibit exemplary academic standing, as evidenced by a GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Exhibit financial need, as evidenced by submission of Financial Aid Offer Statement and Personal Statement of Financial Need.
The following materials must be submitted to complete your scholarship application:
- Transcript (official or unofficial) – Student’s cumulative GPA from the University of Maryland will be considered
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Short Bio (250 words or less) – Include year of study, major, other activities relevant to scholarship and professional activities
- Short Answer (250 words or less) – Please describe your medical or personal hardship and how that has affected your educational and career goals?
- Academic Reference – Name and email of one University of Maryland faculty or staff member who can speak on behalf of your academic performance and candidacy for a scholarship based on the qualifications set forth. (Note: you should request permission to list this person as your reference, but they will not need to submit a letter.)
- Statement of Financial Need – Brief personal statement regarding your financial need, if any, and how a scholarship would benefit you. (Note: you do not need to receive financial aid/assistance to qualify for a scholarship)
- Financial Aid Awards Statement – This is only required if you receive any form of financial assistance (other scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). Your statement, if applicable, may be viewed by visiting http://www.testudo.umd.edu/, clicking on "Financials" (in the left menu bar), then "Show me my Financial Aid Status" (green button), then “Print Your Award Information” (under the “Awards” tab in the top menu bar).
Questions regarding this scholarship or the application process should be directed to bsos-scholarships [at] umd [dot] edu.