Sometimes a BSOS undergraduate researcher encounters a small funding gap preventing the completion of a specific research project/thesis or covering expenses for travel/registration to present at a professional research conference.
On a case-by-case basis, the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Dean’s Office will consider requests for one-time financial assistance up to $500 from BSOS undergraduate students who:
· demonstrate financial need**
· applied for research funding elsewhere but still have a funding gap
· need additional funds (maximum of $500) to complete a research project or to present at a professional research conference
· have already secured matching support from an academic department or academic program
Applications are considered on a rolling basis. It may take up to 30 days to receive a reply. Interested BSOS students should discuss with their research mentor first and then write to the BSOS Undergraduate Dean at bsos-ugdean [at] umd [dot] edu with the following:
· Cell #
· Project Title
· Research Mentor’s Name
· Research Mentor’s Email
· Brief (one page) description of the project or conference:
· Itemized budget of proposed expenses and existing sources of funding, including personal resources
· Email or letter of support from research mentor
· Email confirming matching funds from department or program
Recipients will be asked to submit a brief summary report and some photos at the conclusion of the project or conference.
*The BSOS Undergraduate Research Fund is supported by the generous donations of friends, alumni, parents, faculty, and students.
**Please ensure that you have a FAFSA on file with the Office of Student Financial Aid for the current academic year. Students are encouraged to file a FAFSA each year if they are US Citizens or Permanent Residents. If you are ineligible to file a FAFSA, please note that in your application. Student does not necessarily have to be awarded financial aid from University of Maryland in order to qualify for BSOS Undergraduate Research Funds.