The College offers several scholarships to current students (see below) and each scholarship has individual eligibility criteria. Scholarship awards are granted one time for the Fall semester. The application for Fall 2020 Scholarships is due February 10 at 9AM.
To learn more about each scholarship, click on the links below:
- The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Scholarship Award (for Students with Financial Need)
- Gregory F. Ball Scholarship Award (for Students Interested in Biological Psychology/Neuroscience)
- Katherine Pedro & Robert S. Beardsley Scholarship Award (for Student Leaders)
- Luca Wyatt DeLaGarza Scholarship Award (for Graduates of High Schools in Charles County, MD)
- Irv & Micki Goldstein Scholarship Award (for Academically Talented Rising Seniors)
- Herskowitz Family Endowed Scholarship (for Students Engaged in Public Service)
- Maryland Environmental Service Scholarship (for ENSP Students Pursuing a Career in Environmental Protection)
- Parichehr Hedayat Missaghi Scholarship Award (for Students Devoted to the Defense of Women's Rights)
- The Montgomery Family Endowed Scholarship Award (for Rising Juniors from an Inner City/Rural Community)
- Murray E. Polakoff Scholarship Award (for Rising Sophomores or Juniors Engaged in Community Service)
- Portogallo Family Endowed Scholarship for BSOS (for Students from Nassau and Suffolk Counties in Long Island, New York)
- Jean & Robert Steele Scholarship Award (for First Generation Rising Juniors and Seniors)
- Benjamin, Mary, and Maryanne Sharp Endowed Scholarship Award (for Graduates of International Secondary Schools)
- Submit a complete application by February 10, 2020 at 9AM.
- Have completed at least one semester (Fall 2019 or earlier) at the University of Maryland.
- Plan to attend the University of Maryland during the Fall 2020 semester - Students graduating Spring 2020 are not eligible to apply.
- Be enrolled in a BSOS major or an ENSP track housed within BSOS.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline (see below). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Meet and maintain the original scholarship qualifications; if not met at the time of Fall 2020 funds disbursement, the scholarship will not be awarded.
The following materials must be submitted to complete your scholarship application:
- Transcript (official or unofficial) – Student’s cumulative GPA from the University of Maryland will be considered
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Short Bio (250 words or less) – Include year of study, major, other activities relevant to scholarship and professional activities
- Short Answer (250 words or less. Note: each scholarship asks a unique question. You must submit answers for every scholarship to which you are applying)
- Academic Reference – Name and email of one University of Maryland faculty or staff member who can speak on behalf of your academic performance and candidacy for a scholarship based on the qualifications set forth. (Note: you should request permission to list this person as your reference, but they will not need to submit a letter.)
- Statement of Financial Need – Brief personal statement regarding your financial need, if any, and how a scholarship would benefit you. (Note: you do not need to receive financial aid/assistance to qualify for a scholarship)
- Financial Aid Awards Statement – This is only required if you receive any form of financial assistance (other scholarships, loans, grants, etc.). Your statement, if applicable, may be viewed by visiting http://www.testudo.umd.edu/, clicking on "Financials" (in the left menu bar), then "Show me my Financial Aid Status" (green button), then “Print Your Award Information” (under the “Awards” tab in the top menu bar).
- Students who have previously been awarded a College of Behavioral and Social Sciences scholarship may not reapply for the scholarship which they were awarded; however, past recipients are welcome to apply for other scholarships, if qualified.
- Students may apply for more than one scholarship; however, they must meet the individual qualifications and submit separate short answer responses for each scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients will be recognized at the college’s Scholarship Dinner in the spring semester.
Questions regarding BSOS scholarships or the application process can be e-mailed to: bsos-scholarships [at] umd [dot] edu.